The first hurdle to overcome was the amount of paper required to cover this book. It needs a 45.7 cm or 18 inch length of paper just for the surrounds. This would have been easy before I knew about such things as paper grain! Previously (in blissful ignorance) I would cut up the paper to suit myself - easy! With the advent of knowledge this made life better in some respects (fewer misshaped books) but also harder making sure that the grain of the book board matched the grain of the paper.
For this book I decided to do some gelli prints on old maps so that I could get the length as well as the grain required and because I love gelli printing.
Gelli printing is great fun and I generally use leaves to make the patterns. See gelli prints. This time I used a lino print of a butterfly. That worked well too.
First of all I couldn't remember how to make and cover a box and I couldn't work out the instructions either. Managed to get all that together after numerous attempts and made a very credible box. Just lovely. Now to fit it into the book case.