We used a product called Scratch-Foam board. It produces a form of relief printing similar to lino cutting. But instead of the laborious task of using lino and lino cutting tools (and in my case, cutting myself on the tools) the printing plate is produced by pressing or drawing lines and mapping out areas into the soft foam surface. The printing ink was then applied with a brayer in the same manner as for lino prints. A piece of paper is laid on the top and pressed with a baren to transfer the ink from the board to the paper.
Such an ingenious idea. The Scratch-Board itself is quite soft as you would imagine and so the images produced on the Scratch-Board will not be as long lasting as lino prints and although they can be used again and again their life is limited.
We experimented with multi-coloured effects, rolling the ink on different areas of the plate producing prints after prints, including some 'ghost' prints which are the second or third print from one layer of printing ink.
I was so taken with this process that I believe I produced the most prints!
The second part of the workshop was revisiting the Carolingian script and combining the monoprinting with the script. I have to say that my focus was all on the monoprinting so the Carolingian script came a poor second and in the end I only managed a couple of small pieces.